Thursday, February 27, 2014

Nikki Giovanni poem #7

                I'm Not Lonely



I'm not lonely
sleeping all alone
you think i'm scared
but i'm a big girl
i don't cry or anything

I have a great
big bed to roll around
in and lots of space
and i don't dream
bad dreams like i used
to have that you
were leaving me
anymore


In my interpretation, this is a poem of sadness and denial.
The amount of times the poet repeats the word lonely, shows that its the focus of their mind. The fact that they follow the sentence "I am not lonely, sleeping all alone" makes the initial statement into somewhat of an oxymoron. And the last word of sentence of the poem being "All alone" indeed the last word being "Alone" to me points to how she really feels.
The way she says "I dont cry, or anything" in the rhyme scheme she has chosen, takes from the impact of the statement "I dont cry" and makes it more uncertain while simultaneous filling it with the idea that she doesn't feel emotion at all anymore.
In verse three where she states "and i don't dream, bad dreams, like i used, to have that you,
were leaving me, anymore" to me insinuates that she doesn't dream at all, good bad or indifferent, this she reiterates at the start of verse four. It also implies that her worst fear while they were together was him leaving, which is why it played out in her subconscious mind as a (seemingly reoccurring) dream.
Finally I believe that the "big bed to roll around in, and lots of space" shows the level of commitment in the relationship, to me it conveys the image that they were quite serious and living together, which is why she alights on the bed and size. Also it sounds like she spends a lot of time tossing and turning and notices the lack of him, which also shows that he hasn't been replaced, and she hasn't moved on. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment